Consultancy: Campaigner – Student-led Climate Action
Part-Time Position as a Consultant
Based in Accra, Ghana
Deadline for Applications: 6th of November 2021 – 23:59 GMT
Downoald here the full Consultancy:
About the Global Student Forum
The Global Student Forum is the umbrella organisation of the world’s major representative student federations and the only independent, democratic and representative student governance structure dedicated to promoting the rights and perspectives of student organisations and movements on the global level.
The organisation was founded in 2020 by the All-Africa Students Union (AASU), Commonwealth Students’ Association (CSA), European Students’ Union (ESU), Organising Bureau of European School Student Unions (OBESSU), Organización Continental Latinoamericana y Caribeña de Estudiantes (OCLAE) and other national student organisations. Through its membership it currently represents 198 student unions from 120 countries. Incubated within the legal structure of Education International, the GSF offices are located within the headquarters of Education International in Brussels, Belgium.
About the Position
Scientists agree that climate change represents the greatest threat humanity has ever faced. Over-consumption of natural resources, mass extinction of species, lasting damages caused by pollution and persisting social injustices are well documented. As students, we listen to and stand behind the scientific community and understand that we need to act in unity, with urgency, to defend future generations and our ecosystem at large.
Over the past two decades, it was most prominently students and young people who took the battle for a safe and dignified future to the streets, creating an unprecedented momentum for climate action by taking the lead in raising awareness of human made climate change and its catastrophic consequences for our planet. As a platform for both formal and informal student-led initiatives, the Global Student Forum recognises it’s convening power to build collaboration between the regional, national and local student unions within its membership, and other student and youth-led climate justice movements, and so create a highly connected, mobilised and effective political movement.
In order to further accelerate and streamline our efforts in the environmental justice field, we are seeking for additional capacity to maximise our impact as a global movement with a multiplier effect on an enormously large and politically influential constituency. To amplify the leadership of our member unions in the Global South, the offered consultancy will be based in the regional All-Africa Students Union offices, located in Accra, Ghana to ensure greater involvement and agency of the African membership in the GSF’s projects and campaigns.
We offer a one year service contract (15. November 2021 – 15. November 2022) with possible extension. The compensation for this part-time consultancy is 850 USD per month. The compensation will be paid quarterly (every 3 months) in advance.
- In cooperation with the “#ActOnYourClimateScience” consortium, implement a student-led campaign with the aim of lobbying higher education institutions to sign onto a climate justice framework that commits them to next zero emissions by 2030 with the goal to have 1000 supporting HEIs by COP27.
- Work with key partners to set up a global sustainability ranking for higher education institutions as part of the “#ActOnYourClimateScience” campaign.
- Explore opportunities with partners and the GSF membership to strengthen efforts around building “Green Offices” in higher education institutions.
- Liaise with other youth and student led organisations working on climate justice, putting a specific focus on further building climate campaigning capacity in regional student federations from the global South.
The Qualities We Are Looking For
- Ability to network effectively and establish resilient long-term relationships with civil society organisations, donors and other strategic partners.
- Good verbal, written, organisation, listening and presentation skills, including proofreading and public speaking.
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English – (a knowledge of other regional languages would be an advantage, especially Spanish, French, Arabic or Portuguese).
- Demonstrates ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Proficient in latest versions of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as a graphic editing software of personal choice (e.g. Canva, Photoshop).
- Willingness and flexibility to occasionally work evenings and/or weekends as necessary to carry out responsibilities.
- Ability to align work with strategic goals.
- Self-motivated and systematic.
- Good organisational and analytical skills.
- Excellent team player and networker.
- Emotional intelligence and ability to build relationships.
- Intercultural sensitivity and discretion.
Education and Professional Experience
- Experience in working with youth/student unions and movements and/or trade unions and/or international organisations and/or the education sector is considered a strong asset.
- Experience in working with environmental justice organisations and movements is desirable.
- Proven ability to manage relationships with external partners is desirable.
- Proven ability to work in a team, with particular regards to international and intercultural settings is essential.
- An international network of contacts in civil society, trade unions, private foundations, government and academia is desirable.
How Can One Apply?
Candidates are kindly requested to submit their application, containing a CV and Letter of Motivation (max 2 pages) to email@example.com.
Applications open on the 25th of October 2021. Deadline for Applications is the 6th of November 2021 – 23:59 GMT. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to an interview in the week after.