The Steering Committee of the Global Student Forum is hereby launching an open call for volunteers to be part of the working group on environmental justice, which will be working on issues related to climate action and sustainable development. Representatives from the regional, national and associate membership of the Global Student Forum are encouraged to express their interest to join the work of the group. 

Applications sent to steering.committee@globalstudentforum.org

Deadline: 6 May 23:59 CET

Objectives and Motivation 

The creation of this working group is based on a Steering Committee decision calling for a stronger involvement of the GSF’s membership in regard to climate change and action with the aim of elevating diverse student voices in the environmental space. The working group is composed of seven (7) individuals from the membership and a member of the GSF Steering Committee who is mandated to chair the group. The mandate of the working group starts on the first of April 2022 and remains active for the duration of one year, ending on the first of April 2023.

The Global Student Forum is a joint initiative of the All-Africa Students Union (AASU), Commonwealth Students’ Association (CSA), European Students Union (ESU) and Organising Bureau of European School Student Unions (OBESSU) and the Latin-American Student Organisation (OCLAE) and national organisations and movements which together cover 183 Unions from 118 countries.

The purpose of this Working Group is to: 

• Support and inform the environmental justice work of the Global Student Forum, including policy development and creation of campaigns and capacity building efforts 
  • Engage in strategic discussions around pushing the global climate justice movement forward with students as key stakeholders in the discourse. 
  • Support the environmental justice team in preparing and implementing advocacy efforts around COP27 
  • Work with the Act On Your Climate Science Consortium on strengthening the global reach of the campaign and the rollout within the students movement

Responsibility and Outcome 

The working group will advance the GSF’s impact in terms of advocacy, networking and capacity building by developing a sustainability policy paper, student-led campaigns for net zero emissions by 2030 and programmes related to climate justice in education. The working group will furthermore engage in exploring new ways of linking the informal youth and student led climate movement closer to the formal student movement represented in the membership of the GSF. 

Application 

The GSF is committed to geographic and gender balance to ensure diversity within its working groups. The Steering Committee would like to encourage individuals from all over the globe to apply in order to foster diversity amongst the working group members and to support a balanced and differentiated approach in the working group outcomes. The application should consist of a short motivation letter and a CV. 

We encourage interested candidates to apply as soon as possible, but no later than the: 6th of May 2022, at 23:59 CET. Applications should be sent to steering.committee@globalstudentforum.org.

The working group members engage on a voluntary basis. Meetings of the working group will take place online, making use of online tools provided by the GSF, and face-to-face, during the GSF’s future events, when possible. 

Expectations and Considerations 

Working Group members are expected to: 

• Be capable of discussing and writing in English. 
  • Engage wider networks of student organisations and movements as well as relevant stakeholders in their respective regions
  • Participate in regular working group meetings held online and face-to-face, when possible (workload: 5-10 hours per month). 
  • Work on a voluntary basis but can expect to gain valuable policy and networking experience. 
  • Attend meetings and events on behalf of the working group when applicable.
  • Ensure that information is widely distributed within their home organizations and movements. 
  • Have a track record of political work in the environmental justice and climate action field 

Reporting 

The working group reports to the Steering Committee of the Global Student Forum. Participation in the preparation of reports to the Steering Committee is expected from working group members. 

Selection and Deadline 

Applicants will be selected by the Steering Committee based on their motivation letter (maximum 600 words) and CV according to the rules of selection adopted by the Steering Committee, taking into account regional and gender diversity. If you have any questions regarding this call and the working group at large, do not hesitate to contact: Bismark via bismark@globalstudentforum.org

Applicants will be notified about the selection results by end of May. The Steering Committee of the Global Student Forum
09. March 2022